Ian Fairclough <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 25 May 2005 14:54:02 -0400
Dear LSTOWN-L readers,

Today I sent two postings to the DEWEYERROR list, which I moderate.  The
result has been a cycle of responses, each response consisting of two
messages from LISTSERV reading:

(First message from LISTSERV)
An error occurred while logging mail to the archives of the DEWEYERROR list.
An incomplete copy of the message might  be present in the archive file. The
list is being held to prevent further occurrences of this error. Please take
corrective action  and issue a "FREE  DEWEYERROR" command when you  want the
message to be reprocessed.

(Second message from LISTSERV)
The distribution of your message dated Wed, 25 May 2005 13:18:27 -0400 with
subject  "FW: Dark  light /  Ken Macleod"  has been  postponed because  the
DEWEYERROR list is held. No action  is required from you; your message will
be reprocessed automatically once the list owner releases the list.

So, I checked the archives.  The first posting was present and complete, but
not the "Dark light" one referred to in the second message from LISTSERV.  I
sent a FREE DEWEYERROR message and got the following:

> FREE  DEWEYERROR
The DEWEYERROR list has been freed, 2 files have been released. Summary of
resource utilization ...

So, I expected that both postings would now appear on the list.  Not so!
The same thing happened again; and when I checked, the first posting was
then present in the archives twice.  I freed the list again, only to have
the cycle start again, this time with the posting in the archives three
times.  As of now, the list is still held while I investigate.

I checked with a DEWEYERROR subscriber, who has told me that he's not
received any copies of either posting.

Any advice how I can get out of this "endless loop" situation?  Thanks - Ian

Ian Fairclough
listowner, DEWEYERROR
To contact the current listowner send to