"David W. James" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 8 Aug 1996 11:48:31 -0400
On Aug 7,  9:21am, Dan Lester wrote:
> One thing I just do NOT understand is why other listowners don't just DELETE
> the mailbouncers.  Some here set them to nomail.  Others set them to index.
> Why bother?  Whichever of the four you do (delete, nomail, index, digest),
> it requires action on the part of the subscriber.  All of them require the
> subscriber to send a message to your listserv and do something.  Yes,
deleting
> may require them to send a message and a confirmation, which is marginally
> more difficult.  On the other hand, they at least theoretically know how
> to do that, as they joined in the beginning.  The others require actions that
> the majority of members do NOT know how to do, thus increasing the likelihood
> of my intervention.  The other three also leave them the option to send a
> message to the list for help, a nasty option indeed.

In my case, I don't OWN the lists, I simply administer them as a service to a
community.  That means balancing making things easy for me and what is in the
best interest of the members.  So 'no such address' and such get deleted as
quickly as possible, and full mailboxes I ignore in the short term.

There are other ways to run lists; that is just how I run the ones I'm
administering so far.

Vnend