Mon, 15 Aug 2005 19:02:39 -0500
On Mon, 15 Aug 2005, Rich Greenberg wrote:
> Gave up and set user to NOMAIL at that point.

I never set anyone NOMAIL unless his subbed address sends an out-of-office
message in reply to a list posting (I do NOT tolerate those, if I know of
them), or he requests to be so set.  NOMAILs tend to become "out of sight,
out of mind" which the renewal system has to deal with, sooner or later (if
you don't have RENEWAL it never is dealt with (Lookee! we have 100,000
subscribers!).

Error problem subscriptions (definition varies) are set to DIGEST, and if
the DIGESTs bounce for three days, delete, but to not set to NOMAIL.
Get rid of the problem now, don't leave it to the renewal system a year,
or whatever, from now.

However, this has only to do with how I do things, not the underlying
problems of misconfigured systems on the receiving end, ill conceived
and worse executed filters of various sort, etc., which cause me to
execrate the blockers just as much as, if not more than, the blockees.

Douglas Winship   [log in to unmask]