"Michael S. Johnson" <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 3 Aug 1999 11:53:02 -0700
On Tue, 3 Aug 1999, Eric Thomas wrote:

> For space allocation purposes, what you really need to know (be it on VM
> or on other systems) is the number of disk blocks actually used by the
> file.

Your point is well taken, but I beg to differ; for FTP purposes, what I
really need to know is "how much data am I transferring?"  If I'm
receiving a file, I don't care how efficient the storage device is that
I'm downloading from.  I care how long my modem will be struggling under
the weight of a file that could be anywhere from zero bytes to multiple
megabytes.  Or whether or not my floppy disk that I'm carrying home from
the school computers will be big enough to store the file.

I understand this is not a LISTSERV issue, so I'll end the thread and
thank you all for your answers.

--
Michael