Jim Cocks <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 20 Jun 1995 17:04:18 EDT
>>   My infamous net.kook is at it again with his threats to sue my institution
>>because I served off his node.
>
>Claiming what?  First Amendment rights?  See yesterday's Supreme Court
>decision.  Everyone has a right to say whatever they want, but they don't
>have an unabridged right to someone elses medium.

 We had a similar situation here this Spring.  Person claimed he
 had a Constitutional Right to say whatever he pleased and that
 LISTSERV lists fell under that protection.  Our legal people
 felt otherwise, namely that our listserv lists were private
 discussion forums similar to classrooms.  You can rant on the
 court house steps here in USA but you do not have a right to do
 same on a list.  The result was the person was served off our
 node and his legal threats became vapor-threats.

 The Supreme Courts recent ruling could be read just as Murph
 notes.  Best advice I know of in this situtation is don't
 be intimidated.  If you are you're in for a long ride with
 these types.

  --Jim Cocks  Univ. of Louisville  <[log in to unmask]>