Fred Melssen <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 26 Jul 1993 16:38:00 MET
 Dear listowners,

I manage four LISTSERV lists. One of them, list CPS-L@hearn aka
[log in to unmask], has the following main keywords:

 subscription = by owner
 review       = private
 send         = public
 confidential = yes

The subscribers have access to the CPS-L FILELIST which contains
monthly logs and other documents.
Some subscribers request files from this filelist. This is no
problem as long as the return-address in their mail to LISTSERV
is the same as their subscription-address. I have experienced
many cases in which these two addresses were not the same, and
in most cases the people involved were not aware of it. Each time,
I had to explain them what they could do: either (let them) correct
their return-address, or I replaced their entry in the sub-list
with the return-address I found in their mail. Time-consuming..

Are there possibilities in LISTSERV 1.7f to cope with this problem.
I could think of putting more entries of one person in the list:
one with the 'official' address - set to MAIL, and one with the
'valid' address - set to NOMAIL (this last is used by LISTSERV
to check if a request to receive a file is valid). This solution
works (I think) but is not elegant. Are there more suitable
solutions?

Thank you in advance,

Fred Melssen
[log in to unmask] (University of Nijmegen)
[log in to unmask]       (University of Utrecht)