Mon, 9 Oct 2000 18:31:09 -0500
> Firstname  Lastname <(username)@AOL.COM>  has just  subscribed to <blah blah>
>
> Firstname Lastname is exactly what they entered.
>
> I don't really mind if people want their names to be anonymous since they will
> just remain moderated, but the commands to try and get rid of the "Firstname
> Lastname" no longer work.  I can't do an "add (username)@aol.com *", it won't
> update the name field.  Neither email command nor web page commands will get
> rid of the name.

Could this be because the first time a person sub's to a list at a
particular LISTSERV site the "name" is automatically "registered?"

I have had a problem with this, not Firstname Lastname but names attached
to CHANGE commands.  It seems the orignal "name" remains.  If you try to
do an ADD to get the name transfered properly to the new address you are
told it already exists (and it does show up as a "name" in the filelist).
However, if that person then signs off from the new address the "notify"
contains no name, only the address.  Notifies for people who sign off
with a "registered" name always inculde the name.

I figured out the syntax for doing a "register" for my subscribers but
LISTSERV tells me I'm not authorized to do that (which tells me I got the
syntax right), being a mere listowner.  Why can't listowners do this for
their subscribers?  We aren't to be trusted?

I have not run into the problem of not being able to get an ADD (for a
name change) to work.  I have run into the name change not being
"registered" for the new address.  Is this akin to passwords not following
the CHANGE command?

All seems a bit of a problem to me and I am not sure of the answer on
any of it.   Douglas