Natalie Maynor <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 19 Apr 1995 14:38:56 -0500
>   Occasionally, some of us get notes posted that are not advertisements as
> such, but that are requesting money for various funds and/or foundations. I am

This is not exactly the same thing, but your question reminded me of it.
It's something I've had mixed feelings about for a good while now.  What
are your thoughts about a list that solicits contributions in order to
pay graduate students to help run the list?  It's a large, moderated list
that obviously requires a good bit of time to take care of, the money
contributed goes into fellowships/assistantships/whatever for the students,
the whole operation is clearly on the up-and-up.  But something about it
has bothered me from day one.  I don't really like the precedent.
   --Natalie ([log in to unmask])