Pete Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 5 Feb 2004 13:05:56 -0500
At 11:55 02/05/2004 Thursday, Kraly, Laura wrote:
 >Has anyone successfully set a Default-Topic for their List?

yes

 >I can't figure out if I need to create a list of Topics and then decide
 >which Topic out of that List should be the default or whether the
 >default-topic is a completely different Topic from the list of all Topics. I
 >have tried setting the Default-Topic both ways but still when I sign up for
 >the list after setting this default-topic I am not able to send mail
 >successfully to that Topic.

Remember -- changing default-topics list header does NOT alter current
subscribers.

Will each subscriber show that they are
 >subscribed to that Topic in the Listserv Admin. Web interface or will I just
 >know it exists because I have set that option?

the WEB int'f shows the current options set for a particular subscriber.

A typoed or undefined topic defaults to the reserved topic OTHER.

If you have multiple topics with the same leading characters, and use an
ambiguous topic, I believe that would default to OTHER also (but I'm not
100% sure).

The other problem that I've experienced with TOPICS is getting folks to
USE them ;-)

/Pete