Barry Wolman <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 9 Nov 1996 18:48:21 GMT--400
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> LISTSERV is not broken, you're user is.  On one of my
> hyperactive lists, the default REPLY-TO: is the poster and
> not the list since many folks (used to) reply back to the
> list, instead of the poster.

I didn't think LISTSERV was broken.  I was concerned about a situation
where someone subscribes to the list so they can post an ad and then
unsubscribes.  Most of my subscribers just hit "reply", so replies would go
to the poster who wouldn't have to stay subcribed to see replies sent to
the list.  In the particular case that triggered my query, the ad was
actually relevant to the list and the subscriber remained subscribed.  I
suspect this was a case where the subscriber wasn't up to nefarious
purposes and just happened to have a "Reply-To" header in his default
configuation.

I think a default reply back to the list is appropriate for CANCER-L, but a
large number of messages are relevant to only the original poster.  I
periodically have to remind the members to think about whether they want to
reply to the list or to the original sender.

Barry Wolman
Pittsburgh, PA