Tue, 8 Aug 2000 00:40:58 -0500
On Mon, 7 Aug 2000, Matt wrote:
> I am trying to take ownership of a list where the current owner no longer
> has the same email address and the list is currently locked and I have no
> way to get a hold of the owner.  Is there any way to unlock the list and to
> transfer the list ownership to me, or am I out of luck?

This is a real "iffy" with lots of permutaions.

Site animisstrator can unlock the list and add you as owner, but you best
have really good evidence before you ask for it.  Some site administrators
are wothless and will ignore you, some will talk to you (you best have
chapter and verse, extensive documentaion of the problem, etc.).

Locked lists may be perversly intentional (I unwittingly helped set up one
of those), complacency, oversight or lack of knowledge. Site
administrator(s) may or may not be willing to help/advise.  Each situation
must be evaluated for its features.  Some site aministrators wish the
lists would go away and won't help much, if at all. You cannot assume all
site administrators know what you are talking about, nor that they know
what to do about it if they do (you many have explain procedural details
before they can do what they freely acknowledge should be done).

Asking a site administrator to unlock a list so people can get off is
one thing; asking that you be installed as listowner is another.

I have done some "list rescues", some just getting people off the list,
some "hijacks" for establishment elsewhere.  Sometimes site administrators
will help, sometimes not (entirely my experience, LSOFT usually won't
help if the "owner" is buying the service, regardless of abundant evidence
of abuse (the person paying the money pretty much gets to do as he pleases
regardless of any other consideration)).

Each such situation must be considered on its own merits and approach
should be tailored to that.

For the question asked I would want a *lot* of corroboration, whether as
helpful listowner (I've been burned) or site administrator .  Douglas