"Alperin, Glenn" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 11 Dec 1997 00:09:25 -0500
>John Witherspoon <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>>     What I think you're getting at that and
>>that an owner does need to address are "Error Reports" generated by servers
>>(mostly AOL) and sent on to owners when the Listserv software can't
>>decipher them.
>
>There are now 10 million AOL subscribers and many MSN subscribers. It is
>very hard for us to understand why L-Soft hasn't written a patch ASAP to
>deal with these non conforming errors, since it is such a common problem.
>
>Don.

Excuse me for speaking, but if L-soft were expected to patch up these
systems, they'd have to get the source from those vendors.  When was the
last time you saw Microsoft give out its source code, or likewise with
AOL?  Wouldn't it just be easier if Microsoft or AOL conformed to internet
e-mail standards already established?

Then again, asking Microsoft to conform to standards seems to be like
asking an ostrich to fly these days.  As for AOL, if what we have been
hearing by the AOL people on the list-owners list means anything, they are
working on making their system more compliant with widely held internet
standards.

As for Microsoft, they seem pretty content on consistantly creating their
very own standards and ignoring any previously agreed upon internet
standards for sending mail.

AOL gets an A for effort.  Keep up the good work trying to make things
more internet standardized and you'll go far.

Microsoft....when have they ever listened to anybody?

Glenn