Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 1 Apr 1997 02:17:38 GMT
On Mon, 31 Mar 1997 18:56:46 -0600, Marilyn Knapp Litt
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I reached the Daily Maximum Messages on my list of 50.  I used GET, changed
>the header, and PUT it back.  I didn't touch the subscriber addresses which
>were at the end of the email.  All of my subscribers who were on digest
>lost that option.

When you reach the daily maximum, your list is put on 'HOLD'.  The proper
command to release it is  FREE listname   You don't have to edit the
header, unless you want to.

What command did you issue?

I'll bet you sent  GET listname

What you should have sent is   GET listname (HEADER

That does 2 things: 1) sends you only the header (not the list of members
as well) and 2) LOCKs the list so no add/delete changes can be made (and
also prevents any changes when you PUT the header back, with anything that
LISTSERV might interpret as an address to add, such as a sig line.

I'll bet you also got a lot of "invalid RFC 822 address  2AADC...", etc
error messages as well.  What happened is your 'helpful' email program
line wrapped all the personal SET options (stored in position sensitive
format!) from char 81-95

 Ben Parker ............ (Oak Park IL) .......... [log in to unmask]