"John L. Mottl" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 11 Oct 2000 08:12:27 -0400
well, I tried...   Is it worth having in the filter statement place? Or is
the size limiter the only thing that really makes a difference?

Learning (as usual) the hard way....

John

On 10/10/00 at 5:14 PM the talented Nathan Brindle
offered the following discourse in a most eloquent manner:

>As Pete noted earlier, this would not have made a difference in this case.
>
>On Tue, 10 Oct 2000 16:38:44 -0400 John L. Mottl said:
>>I believe that this was posted here eariler.  The "filter" causes
listserv
>>to remove any and all attachments.
>>

>>Attachments= No, filter

>>On 10/10/00 at 3:31 PM the talented Alex Rudd
>>offered the following discourse in a most eloquent manner:
>>

>>>Greetings...
>>>
>>>Someone posted a virus to one of my lists, POLICE-L, yesterday.
>>>
>>>LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU is running LISTSERV(R) for NT 1.8d and I do
>>>have Attachments= No in the list header.  Still, this one
>>>slipped through.  I'd love to know why and/or whether there's
>>>anything (else) that can be done to prevent it from happening
>>>again.
>>>
>>>My first thought was that it wasn't really an attachment (for
>>>lack of boundary).  But this is in the message header:

>>>Also, a number of subscribers reported that their anti-virus
>>>programs snagged the post, and they even snagged the DIGEST
>>>messages containing the post.
>>>
>>>Rather than include the entire message here (where it would
>>>only cause further concern), I've thrown it up here:
>>>
>>>http://members.home.net/lists/police-lpost.htm
>>>
>>>What you see there is exactly what I got when reading the
>>>post here in my VM account.
>>>
>>>Obviously, my subscribers are concerned.  Any advice on what I
>>>can tell them?
>>>
>>>Has anyone else dealt with this before?  Is this the first time
>>>someone has seen an attachment that doesn't act like an attachment?
>>>
>>>Thanks.
>>>
>>>- Alex, list owner of POLICE-L    [log in to unmask]
>>>Alex Rudd                [log in to unmask]            ARS KA2ZOO
>>>{Standard Disclaimer}    http://www.police-l.org/
>>
>>and that is what Alex Rudd said.

and that is what Nathan Brindle said.