Liz Conklin <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 2 Jan 1998 14:58:03 -0500
The main reason that I joined this list was because my posts from the mailing
list that I administrate quit coming through.  When I spoke with my ISP I was
told that filters on relay mail had been added and that nothing could be done
short of the people running my host changing their software over to Majordomo.
I'm surprised and confused to see that the posts from this list are coming
through just fine.  The filters were lifted for about a week and then re-applied
on New Years Day.  By that time I had changed everything over to an AOL account
that I only use as an extra email address.  At this time I am very concerned
that other subscribers posts will be filtered and the list will die or have to
be moved.

Here is a copy of the letter that I received from the administrator of my ISP
here in Indy.  Although I am at a not well versed in any of this yet perhaps it
would explain some of the problems with the Virgin.Net situation.

Patrick Rainbolt wrote:
>        The only thing we did was allow people to send null's (or no
>userids) as valid user names. This means that the listserve that started
>working are not setup correctly according to RFC822 protocols or the
>gateway they are going through is sending out the user name as a null. We
>will leave this like this for a couple weeks but since it is a security
>hole it will eventually be plugged. We currently are discussing the
>posibility of allowing null's as user name but nothing set in stone as of
>yet.

This is the copy of one of the bounces that I eventually downloaded.