Margaret King <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 14:48:46 -0500
Joe DeBattista wrote:

> Hi,
>    I've got kind of a strange problem.  A user is trying to use the web
> interface to administer his list.  He is able to create his listserv
> password, and even change it to something else, but when he tries to log
> in, he get an error saying
>
> Sorry, you are not authorized to use LISTSERV administrator functions from
> the address you entered in the login screen.

Hi Joe,

I am on 1.8d, so if you are on 1.8e and the terminology is different
on the front page of the web interface, please bear with me.  But it
sounds like he is trying to go into "Server management interface"
rather than "Mailing list management interface".  He can't go into
the "Server management interface" unless he is the admin (of the whole
server).  We have people do that from time to time here - it looks so
similar that you don't realize you are in the wrong place until
suddenly it tells you that you are the wrong person.

> 29 Oct 2002 10:08:59 From [ANONYMOUS]@ITSSRV1.UCSF.EDU: X-LOGCK 13565A37DC393101
> 8A AUTHINFO(128.218.232.50) POSTMASTER() WM: NOP

I don't know anything about "WM: NOP" but "POSTMASTER" sure sounds like
he's in the admin area instead of the list owner area.

Margaret King
Michigan State University