Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 5 Jun 2001 14:42:31 -0600
On Tue, 5 Jun 2001 16:22:11 AST4ADT, Russ Hunt <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>In general, the process is not a problem, but I'm stuck at PUTting
>the archive file back in: I apparently don't have a mail program
>that'll accept a 227K file into the body of the mail message.
>
>Pegasus for DOS, Pegasus for Windows, and Netscape Communicator all
>seem to choke on the file.

That's because they all use a Windows provided edit bufffer of approx 32k in
size.

>I think there's a way to put the file in
>place directly, but as far as I know the only person who has the
>rights and knows how to do it where my list is administered is on
>paternity leave . . . anybody have any suggestions?  The LISTSERV
>file on editing notebook logs doesn't suggest any alternatives to
>sending the file with the command as the top line.

If you mean the page at http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8d/qs/editlogs.html

It discusses this very problem in some detail:

Since you will need to e-mail your edited notebook log back to the server, you
must use an e-mail program that can handle very large messages in the e-mail
text editor:

- The following e-mail programs are known to have difficulty handling large
messages of the kind needed to successfully edit Archives: AOL, Juno, Hotmail,
Yahoo, Compuserve. The popular mail programs Eudora and Pegasus may also have
problems editing archives because of an editor buffer size limitation.

- Mail programs that do work, though you may need to become familiar with their
features: MS Internet Mail, Netscape Mail, Agent.

(NOTE: The above list of mail programs is not all-inclusive. Nor does it imply
any recommendation but is for informational purposes only. As List Owner, you
will wish to investigate the capabilites and restrictions of several of the many
mail programs available and make an informed decision about what you prefer to
use.)

(Agent is my favorite, Pine also works.)