Stan Horwitz <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 27 May 1994 10:26:12 EDT
The idea  of selling access  to a Listserv  subscription service such  as the
List I run  doesn't sit well with  me. For one thing, speaking  as a Listserv
postmaster, my system is run by  a state funded non-profit university and our
computer equipment cannot legally be used  to help someone gain a profit, but
I am  not sure that  in this case,  there would be  a problem in  that regard
since I am not a lawyer.

If you provide the access to these  lists from a single source to your paying
customers, there will indeed probably be  reduced fewer for a list's owner if
you carry that  list. If, however, you  allow various users to  post and read
the list from their own accounts, than probablems such as closed accounts and
such will invariably  be sent to the  list's owner unless you  can write some
sort of  software protocol  or set  up some operational  policy to  deal with
those matters.  I guess that's what  you're proposing though. In  short, I am
not entirely  sure what you're doing  is legal and I  am not sure it  will be
advantageous to  users. Sorry  to say  it, but  what you  might be  doing (in
light of recent  discussions) is inadvertantly providing  yet another gateway
to Listserv and other lists for abuse by certain greedy people who want cheap
advertising.

  Stan  Horwitz  Internet: [log in to unmask]  Bitnet:  STAN@TEMPLEVM
  Temple University  -- Senior  Consultant (My  views are  all mine!)
  Manager of the Help-Net and Suggest lists and Listserv Postmaster.