Nathan Brindle <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 10 Nov 1995 13:23:48 EST
It's not a list password, it's a global password for your userid@host on
LISTSERV at that particular site.  It can be used interchangeably with
the list password (which is part of the list header) for PUTs and GETs
and anything else requiring a password (dependent on the Validate= keyword).

If you want to change the <list> password, you GET the list and add

* PW=newpassword

to the list header, and PUT it back with <either> the old password or
your personal password (or an "OK", depending on the setting of Validate=).

At the risk of sounding RTFMish, this is outlined in the List Owner's
Manual (the one currently on the ftp site, not the original May edition)
in sections 2.7 and 2.11.8 and several other places here and there
throughout the manual.  Section 2.9 shows an example of a list header
ready to be PUT with a new password.  You can view or download the
manual from http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/ownerindex.html .