Michael Shannon <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 11 Apr 2016 20:18:22 +1000
> I'd like to know if there's a way to download all of the posts on
> the list, so I can save them locally (on a machine that lacks
> listserv!) for historical purposes.
>
> I've googled, and read a bunch of documentation, but I'm hoping
> I've just missed something obvious.

Pete's suggestion is a supported way of doing it through LISTSERV
commands.  An alternative way is to contact the LISTSERV Site Manger and
ask them to save the archives for you directly from the file system.
They can make the data available for download, burn it to a CD/DVD, or
something similar.  The data is written as plain-text so it can be
viewed in practically anything that can display text, and this also
means it's highly compressible.

> (Aside: there's a good chance I'll have to find a new home for the
> list in the near future, since no remaining members have any ties
> now to the school that is hosting the list for us.)

Another advantage of getting the raw data is if your list's new home is
also running LISTSERV then it's dead simple to import the archives
as-is.

--
  Michael Shannon