Russ Hunt <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 23 Feb 2001 21:23:44 AST4ADT
Thanks, Douglas, this is extremely helpful.  Even though it seems as
though the list in question _wasn't_ private, I find this notion of
how REVIEW might work to solve such problems immensely interesting.

> > I'm not sure why setting this list to PRIVATE wouldn't do the same
> > thing, without the hassle of manually resetting everybody to
> > NOREVIEW.

> Well, we don't know whether the list is private or not.  I make the
> assumption it is, so only subscribers can post.  Given that any
> subscriber, once subscribed, and subscription is open, may freely
> post, there is no security at all.  This is somewhat the situation
> described; the spammer keeps changing addresses.

> Now, making REVIEW a Default-Option=    will *not* set those
> already subscribed to REVIEW, but, all *new* subscriptions will
> automatically be REVIEW, so only new subscribers will have to be
> set NOREVIEW, and they can be dealt with when they post.  If they
> never post, just lurk, it matters not a whit whether they are
> REVIEW or NOREVIEW.  On the other hand, this joker will be caught
> by REVIEW every time he tries a new address. Just don't approve
> those items nor set the address(es) NOREVIEW.

Slick indeed.

                                  -- Russ
                                __|~_
Russell A. Hunt            __|~_)_ __)_|~_    Professor of English
St. Thomas University      )_ __)_|_)__ __)  PHONE: (506) 452-0424
Fredericton, New Brunswick   |  )____) |       FAX: (506) 450-9615
E3B 5G3   CANADA          ___|____|____|____/    [log in to unmask]
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~ http://www.StThomasU.ca/~hunt/ ~~~~~~~~~~~~