Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 8 Nov 2007 00:44:26 +0100
If that can reassure you, I have no intention of removing SHORTHDR. But I believe it has been "special or obsolete" since around 1999 or so. I can't vouch for the exact wording used back then, but this is nothing new!

I find it funny that the default hop count limit went from 17 in the early 90s to 25 when people realized 17 was too little to 15 today. What wouldn't the big ISPs do for another excuse for dropping more mail on the floor to save money?

I also find it fascinating that so many people call us and presumably everyone else in the industry to explain that Yahoo or the like are dropping all their mail and what can they do about it, who has the best solution to make Yahoo accept their mail. That's a valid question of course, but to avoid missing the forest you have to ask yourself if you really think Yahoo is the primary e-mail address for the person in question. I know some of the big ISPs still sell actual ISP services in the US, but in most cases, the answer is no. So, you then have to ask yourself why your customers won't trust you with their real e-mail address and instead give you a Yahoo address that they read "now and then." I have one such address myself for the many forms that require an e-mail address and my sister's maiden name before I can download a public patch. If really needed, I can access my Yahoo address to get a download link, but don't expect to get a response if you write to me there. I love the way Yahoo keeps deleting my e-mail account even though I pay them a monthly fee for other services (and premium e-mail is always included if I got it right - but not if you don't use it often enough, even though you are paying for it). Quite upsetting as a customer, but perfect for my purposes! If I think the company will send me information that has even a chance of being useful, I give them my real e-mail address instead and save myself the bother of logging on to Yahoo for the Top Secret Download Link that my sister's fake maiden name just unlocked. Nothing sent to my Yahoo address gets read, whether delivered or rejected. And no software product or configuration option is going to change that ;-)

  Eric