"Peter C.S. Adams 7-5263" <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 23 Jun 1996 19:21:09 EST
Thanks to L-Soft's unusually well-written manual (for a computer company :-> )
I have set up a biannual confirmation schedule for PAGEMAKR. It has
certainly helped me, and no-one seems to mind too much. However, as
following simple instructions seems beyond some people, every six months
we have a rash of confirmations coming throught to the list instead of
listserv. Which is odd, since every time I ask, people say the message
comes to them from [log in to unmask], meaning they would have
to do a forward and deliberately type in the wrong address to mess it up.
Or could it be that some people get a message with a FROM: line of LISTSERV@
while others get one from PAGEMAKR@? Mine comes from LISTSERV@, so I
just REPLY, using the editor to delete all the message text except the
confirm command. But obviously this does not work for everyone....

Also, I assume from the manual that 6-monthly is a legal value, although
it is not explicitly stated. True? Right now I have RENEWAL set to
6/15,12/15,Delay(14) to roughly coincide with the deletion of student
accounts. However, as I understand it, this means someone could
subscribe on 6/14 and be asked to renew the next day. Would a 6-monthly
(or whatever) value ask everyone to renew six months from their
subscription date, thus spreading out the chaos :-> over the year
instead of concentrating it in June and Dec.? Do those of you who use
renewals set your lists to a fixed date value or to periodic?

|  And the #1 thing you can do to help the  |        Peter C.S. Adams      |
|  environment is ... become a vegetarian.  |    Univ. of Mass. at Boston  |
|             Ask me why!                   |     co-listowner, PAGEMAKR   |