Nathan Brindle <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 6 Apr 1999 15:30:11 EDT
On Tue, 6 Apr 1999 15:12:48 -0400 David E Hopkins said:
>Dear L-Owners,
>
>When ever I REVIEW one my list, I notice two line maybe three at the bottom,
>with talleys of the number of users on the list.  One say, "total number of
>user subscribed...."  and the other says, "total number of local node users
>on the list....".  I would like the local node users to be something other
>than zero all the time.

Well, bottom line, the only way you could get local node users to be more
than zero would be to have users with mail addresses on the same node (machine)
with LISTSERV.  This has nothing to do with the "LOCAL=" option which only
tells LISTSERV what users are to be considered as "local" users for
administrative purposes.  It means strictly "How many local node users
are on the list?", which is not the same as "How many local <domain> users
are on the list?".  Back when LISTSERV ran only on VM mainframes this number
could be fairly large :)

>I have our LOCAL= option in use but I always get zero (0) people talleyed at
>the bottom of my review.  I thought this would be a nice feature for
>management so they can see how many are locals and how many list users are
>outside people.

The only way to do this would be to REVIEW the list and count up the local
people, either by hand or via a script.  Or you could do something like
"SCAN listname FOR *@AG.GOV".

Nathan