Russell Nelson <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 27 May 1994 09:57:00 EDT
BTW, EMList is the name of the service I'm going to sell.  One of the
services I'm going to offer is the creation (or taking over) of
any mailing list.  So, if you're a scholar who's interested in talking
to other scholars, and less interested in maintaining a mailing list,
you might wish to hand off operation of your current mailing list, or
ask EMList to create a mailing list for your new topic.

The service I'm trying to offer is focussed on the mechanics of
running a mailing list.  I'm offering form, not content.  When the
mailing list isn't working for you, I'm not providing good service.
If you need a mailing list that only allows subscribers, bing, you got
it.  If you need a moderated mailing list, bing, you got it.  Whatever
circulation policy you need, you'll get.

And that's the whole point: to offer a service that people are paying
for, and can complain about.  One of the problems I've had with my
free packet driver software is that people are reluctant to complain,
because they haven't paid anything for the software.  So, bugs go
unreported and unfixed.  Fortunately, now that I'm running this as a
business, I have paying customers who DO complain.

I want to be clear on one thing: I am in NO way criticizing L-Soft's
software in any way.  The software is very well done.  But it doesn't
address the same problem that EMList tries to solve.

-russ <[log in to unmask]>      ftp.msen.com:pub/vendor/crynwr/crynwr.wav
Crynwr Software   | Crynwr Software sells packet driver support | ask4 PGP key
11 Grant St.      | +1 315 268 1925 (9201 FAX)    | Quakers do it in the light
Potsdam, NY 13676 | LPF member - ask me about the harm software patents do.