Glenn Darwin <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 13 Apr 2001 23:28:36 -0400
Adam Bailey wrote:

<snip>

> Are you sure you didn't misunderstand? AOL has problems with mail that
> comes from dialup addresses. In some cases, providers use the same
> netblocks for static servers as dynamic dialups, which causes this
> problem. In other cases, the netblocks are separate -- but you still get
> mail servers named 123-234-321.d.bellatlantic.net, which looks like a
> dialup, causing a false positive on AOL's end.
>
> If you didn't misunderstand, the tech may have.

Maybe I don't.  I have not read the RFC's and admit I'm still learning....

I had to guarantee to AOL that my lists were closed and all spam attemps would
be sent to the moderators/owners of the list and not be allowed to pass
through.  I always set my lists up this way.  When I was on HOME.EASE you
wouldn't believe the amount of spam that was attempted.

But, why would AOL parse the header for where the e-mail originated before it
hit listserv? Why do they consern themselves with every hop before the connect
to AOL?  So what if one of my subscribers is running their own e-mail server.

Reading through your FAQ just answered my questions....
http://members.aol.com/adamkb/aol/mailfaq/dropped-mail.html

My ISP has a spam filter that I subscribe to.  At least I get to see what was
blocked instead of deleted without an audit trail. If AOL provided this the AOL
customers could see where their mail is going instead of making us, the list
admins, go searching out the problem for them....  This is the second time I
have had to spend time making sure AOL customers get their mailing list posts.

Enough ranting...  Next time I'm going to ask my AOL subscribers to make the
call. I have wasted enough time and frustration on this issue.

Glenn
Team NCM http://www.corvettemuseum.com