"P. Divirgilio" <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 29 Oct 1994 06:52:24 -0400
  Unfortunately, the signatories of UN conventions no longer honour
  them and even in some critical cases obstruct any action by UN
  agencies. Since those touching upon life and death issues are not
  observed, I have no doubt that the Berne convention would also be
  ignored at national convenience. I used to believe in the
  conventions until I discovered that whole groups of people are
  denied any access to international law while facing atrocities
  clearly laid out in UN conventions. Most matters fall under national
  law in reality. In some countries it doesn't matter how many
  conventions they signed: they don't observe them within their
  borders and only look on them as a means for politically impuning
  their allies as a last resort. I used to share your belief but now
  have grave doubts. -- Paul.

--

Dr. Paul S. di Virgilio,  University of Toronto  [log in to unmask]