Stan Horwitz <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 22 Jun 2000 08:26:34 -0400
On Thu, 22 Jun 2000, Russ Hunt wrote:

> Strikes me that it's probably worth reassessing the need to allow
> attachments.  There are lots of alternatives, and people would find
> them if the list simply refused to accept attachments.  Hoping for
> "educated subscribers" is, well, a fairly desperate strategy . . .

Perhaps, but speaking as a Listserv postmaster, the Listserv I manage
hosts around 1,500 active lists. In the past year, the subscribers to only
one of those lists saw a virus come through their list. I do agree with
you that there are other alternatives to sending attachments in Listserv
list's postings, but I for one prefer not to force such decisions on
people if I can help it. Transmitting attachments via Listserv is a
powerful means of collaborating on books and other long written documents
so attachments do have their uses.