Bruce Schuman <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 24 Jun 1994 10:11:19 -0700
Anthea Tillyer's concerns are interesting to me because we have just
experienced almost identical problems on my list, -- and it is my
reactions to those problems which have led me here to LSTOWN-L.

I realize that I am tailwagging beginner here, and perhaps this list is
best thought of as a forum to discuss technical issues.  In that regard,
this place is very useful, and I've already absorbed a lot of helpful
ideas.  But the "philosophy of list ownership" is also significant, -- so
I hope these comments are not out of line...

> It controls the list in two ways, Anthea.
>
> First, the fact that you take your list and its purpose seriously enough to
> ask that the applicants give you some indication of their interest in it
> will prove at least some level of psychological barrier.

Just having set subscription to "by_owner", I have composed a generic
letter, which I send out in response to the requests that come in.  This
letter includes a bit of explanation, and a "form" asking a series of
questions, which, thus far, respondents are encouraged but not required to
answer.

The most troublesome thing about doing this is that I have to manually
transfer the addresses of the "requestees" to my Pine address book, since
they come to me from listserv.  It would be convenient if there was a way
to automate a reply to the requester.

> Filling out a profile
> will also prove a bit too much, like as not, for those who are just
> sampling lists and have no especial interest.  It also is a sign to serious
> applicants that they are likely to have a good, serious forum for their
> postings, not a quibblesome chittery chattery list of obnoxes and idiots.
>
> Mind you, there are no absolute guarantees.  It simply improves the odds
> for you immensely.

Yes, this is right.  It's just another level of "bozo filter".  And the
people it drives away you don't need.

> As my fellow listowner, Jae Walker, mentioned a bit earlier in this thread,
> we made ARCANA a closed, subscription by owner list from the beginning, and
> have never, ever regretted it. . .
>
> We have a short profile form (little more than name, address, and tell us a
> little about your interests) that we send out to each applicant.  In
> addition, when the applicant is added, we send the profile to the list (IF
> and ONLY if the applicant has agreed) by way of introduction -- and, often,
> we see the "interests" part of the profile generate new threads of
> discussion.  It's worked out very well.

Though I haven't been recently active, I myself am a subscriber to
ARCANA, and I downloaded and followed some of your policies when I was
restructuring BRIDGE-L.  In fact, Mario, I have a printout of your
"Welcome Letter" (January) sitting right here.  And I was working with one
other of your subscribers (Coeur) when I developed our new policy.

As I continue to say, online message space is a "blank white page".  We
can write on it what we will.  Given the complaints and squawks from many
quarters regarding the low quality of most writing on the Internet, and
the unwillingness of many very talented people to become involved, it
seems worthwhile to work seriously on designing approaches to this medium
that can ensure highest quality.

- Bruce Schuman