Vickie Banks <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 23 Feb 1996 01:31:22 -0500
Dan Wheeler <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>Vicki received two suggestions: 1) change the header option, and 2) change
>to Translate= No so control codes are not deleted.  It is an empirical
>question whether either of these will help in Vicki's situation.

Many heartfelt thanks to Eric, Dan and Norm Aleks.  Our lists
are now sending Japanese characters properly.  We did substantial
testing today with people all over the world and found that
in order for Japanese characters to go though the UNIX listserv
here without being corrupted one must do BOTH of the suggestions
above.

FULL or IETF headers allowed it to "know" that the character set
was Japanese, and appeared to send European special characters
through.  So it was necessary to set the default to one of
these and to change all the subscribers.  But that alone didn't
work for any of our Japanese subscribers.

When we combined the header change with the Translate= No
keyword, it all started working for them though.  So I conclude
that one must make both changes to send Japanese script.

I appreciate the help so much, as these folk were getting very
upset that their messages were all corrupted and unreadable.

A couple of additional questions.  What's the difference between FULL and
IETF headers?  Both seemed to work, but I'm wondering if there is an
advantage to one over the other.

My Pine is still complaining that I don't have the ISO-2022-JP
Character Set, so it can't actually display the Japanese.  I get
a similar complaint when the owners of our European lists write,
though different character sets.  I'd like to be able to display
these on UNIX Pine or on something, so that I could do my own
testing, and not have to ask the subscribers to help so often.
Can't seem to find any directions on where to find them or how
to install them though. Does anyone know?

And lastly am I likely to have a problem with the file server?  I don't
think the list keyword will affect the file server, and I'm afraid the
Japanese will be corrupted again.  In addition, I think they want to do
part of the Welcome Letter, Surveys, etc., in Japanese, and I'm wondering
how to make that work.

Thanks again for all the help.

Vickie Banks
H-NET Technical Assistance

P.S.  Dan Lunde's WWW site is excellent for finding materials
on Japanese use of the Internet.  http://jasper.ora.com/lunde/
Not much on the listserv interface yet though.  Maybe I'll send him
a summary of what we find out.