Francoise Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 18 Nov 1998 11:23:09 -0500
> > signed up before we realized who they were, and then we would have to
> > delete them "against their will" as opposed to simply not letting them
> > join in the first place.  If I'm missing something here, please let me know.

If you really feel strongly about this, I suppose you could fake it :-)
Change SIGNUP1 to start with:

> Your request to join the &LISTNAME list has been forwarded to the list
> owner for approval. If you have any question about the list, you can reach
> the list owner at &OWNER.

instead of

> Your subscription to the &LISTNAME list (&TITLE) has been accepted.

* Subscriptions=Open,Confirm
* Default-Options=NOMAIL,NOPOST
* Notify=Yes

QUIET DELETE the subscriptions you don't want to accept, then
at the end of the day, send a:
QUIET SET listname MAIL POST for *@*
to "subscribe" everyone else.

The only noticeable (to subscribers) difference would be that the
welcome and signup messages will get sent when they ask to
subscribe rather than when they get accepted, so you might want to
reword some of it. It does have the advantage that you can request
confirmation _before_ the owner gets involved :-)

When subs quiet down, you can switch back to Subscriptions=By
Owner and get rid of the NOMAIL,NOPOST default options.

Francoise