Liz Marr <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 9 Aug 1999 22:19:38 -0700
On 9 Aug 99, at 0:46, Ben Parker  wrote:

> This does not work.  The reason is that at the point in LISTSERV's message
> processing where the TOP_BANNER and/or BOTTOM_BANNER are evaluated and possibly
> added to the message, the &USERNAME (&WHOM) are not yet known.  They are
> evaluated later in the process.  Since these variables are undefined at the
> time, they cannot be used for this kind of substitution.

That's what I figured.  The mail programs that seem to have a problem are the MS
ones (who else?)  The problem seems to be with the flat digests (as opposed to HTML
or MIME)  I've finally gotten the folks who use HTML or MIME to simply define the list
address in their address books so that they can access it easily when replying to the
list from a digest (where the default is to put the sender's address in) but for some
reason they complain that the flat digest does not echo the original sender address.

So, it is my understanding that in the case of a flat digest, the sender address WILL
BE THERE along with the message if DUAL HEADER is used.  What if the list default
is SUBJECT HEADER (which is my prefered type of header)  Do I have to turn off
subject header for anyone who can't seem to find the return address in their digests?

Liz Marr

--
      mailto:[log in to unmask]
      http://www.cc-ent.com