Dan Lester <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 10 Jun 1994 13:57:30 MST
On Thu, 9 Jun 1994 21:06:00 CST Dave Jackson UIOWA said:
>    I am a new listowner with problems (likely you've heard it all before).
>    My list operates off a package called Mail eXchanger on a vax system.

   That's your first problem.  o-)

   A number of mailers such as WordPerfectOffice 4.0 are now being
connected to the nets, and they are not really aware of the problems
of things like confirm msgs.  The sysops of those systems are generally
folks who just do lans and have no concept of listserv and its clones,
or of theproblems that can be caused.
   The sys manager on the offending package/site can fix this to NOT send
the confirmations, though on many of them the individual user can turn it
back on.  I will say that a few of our users tried the confirmation options
in WPO4.0, but once they realized that EVERY msg they sent produced AT LEAST
three replies, they quickly shut it off.  It would send one mail when msg
was delivered.  Another when opened.  Another when deleted/discarded.  And of
course the recipient might reply, as well.  Once someone has done this
with an 'everybody' msg to a hundred people they get the idea quickly.

   Some packages, such as LISTSERV, can handle this in a variety of ways.
No idea of whether your package can or not.  Somehow I'd doubt it.

   Good luck.

cyclops

  Dan Lester                          Internet: [log in to unmask]
  Network Information Coordinator     Bitnet:   ALILESTE@IDBSU
  Boise State University Library
  Boise, Idaho  83725                 In the kingdom of the blind, the
  208-385-1235                        one-eyed man is king.  Erasmus. 1523