Bill Gruber <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 17 Nov 1998 01:11:27 EST
On Tue, 17 Nov 1998 00:06:23 -0600 Winship said:
>>Is it possible to get only the header of the error message or a short mail
>>instead of the whole original message which I do not need?

>The form and size of the error messages is a function of the agency
>sending the error message, not LISTSERV.

I've seen this request made pretty frequently.  In fact, I made the request
once myself.  There's no reason LISTSERV *must* return an entire 3000 line
digest which bounced just so we can see the error contained within the first
50 or so lines.  LISTSERV already cuts some errors off at 500 lines... even
*that* would be better than returning the whole damn bouncing digest.  Once
for every bounce no less.  I don't know about you, but downloading even 10
large digests just to see their first 50 lines is not my idea of efficiency.

Bill