Jane Lyle <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 31 Mar 2005 12:29:46 -0500
On Thu, 31 Mar 2005, Rich Greenberg wrote:

> Sibernet-L has a long time subscriber who is not on review.  Suddenly,
> her posts are going to the editor for review.  Looking at her posts on
> the web interface for moderating, I see a normal "From:" line with the
> correct address and a strange sender line:
>
>    Sender: [log in to unmask]
>
> I don't know if this is a recent earthlink change or a recent Listserv
> change (This is Lsoft's Apple server).
>
> Ring any bells for anyone?

It sure does! We started having this problem yesterday. Apparently it's a
change made by Earthlink to reduce spam. It affects people who have their
own domain name but use Earthlink as their SMPT server. Our affected
subscriber got in touch with Earthlink's tech support and was able to
solve it (not by getting them to do a better job of rewriting the headers,
though, of course). Here is her story:

"The trick is to go to your outgoing server setting and change
"smtpauth.earthlink.net" to "smtp.earthlink.net."

I was startled at the suggestion, and even more startled when it worked,
as I switched to the "auth" version a year or so ago at the advice of
Earthlink tech when my outgoing mail stopped working. How Can That Be, I
asked the tech, who'd been thrashing around the situation for half an
hour or so at that point. Oh, sez he (more or less), if there's a
problem and it's not "auth" you put it in, and if there's a problem and
it is "auth," you take it out."

Oh. But at least it worked.

Jane