Thu, 7 Jan 1993 12:22:09 -0400
>> Does it
>> really make  a difference  whether you  are sent one  message of  3000 or
>> three messages of 1000  (at the exact same time)? The  amount of data you
>Exactly.  We have some files in our archives that are over 1000
>lines long.  Some of our subscribers cannot retrieve these files
>by email--their system truncates messages over some limit that is
><<  Daniel D. Wheeler          Internet:  [log in to unmask]  >>
><<  University of Cincinnati     Bitnet:  wheeler@ucbeh       >>

Not to mention the fact that, the more screens there are, the more tedious
it is to read the things, even if your system *does* let you download off
the mailer (some systems evidently don't...).

Not, mind you, that I thing digests are a bad thing in and of themselves.
The human-made ones at least filter out the personal mail, the listserv
commands sent to the list, the meaningless "me, too" stuff -- *and* at
least one digester I know ruthlessly edits down lengthy sig.files.  I don't
suppose the automatic digester is that discriminating?  <sigh>  Still,
Bravo! to the wizard...

Rups <[log in to unmask]>