Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 24 Jan 1997 17:46:13 GMT
On Fri, 24 Jan 1997 12:19:01 -0500, Anne Washburn <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>I am a new owner of a listserv. A friend of mine who uses AOL has tried to
>sign up and the AOL mail reader won't let her leave the subject line
>empty.

This is function of AOL's proprietary email program, there must be
something on the Subject Line.  I always recommend that users with this
kind of email program put a sensible subject line (such as JOIN if they
are subscribing to the list or QUERY if they are checking options, etc)
rather than 'anything'.  I usually tell users that the Subject line is
'not important' rather than 'blank', because some mailer pgms do require
there be some kind of subject entry.

LISTSERV(R), the program processing the commands when received will
ignore the subject line and act only on the command word contents of the
sent message.  Some other list managing programs, such as Majordomo and
ListProc do look for their command words in the Subject: line but
LISTSERV(R) does not.
 Ben Parker ............ (Oak Park IL) .......... [log in to unmask]