Dan Wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 4 Aug 1992 10:08:24 -0500
Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]> said:

> It's  not a stupid  thing to do  - a
> subject line  is supposed to help  the human reader sort  messages and so
> on, if it's 140  characters long it isn't very useful.  And, as you said,
> parsing the  thing is also an  open question. There are  programs that do
> that, but they are not 100% foolproof.

I'd really like to see more information in the subject line.  Our
mailer gives me a list of the messages that have arrived in this
format:

> 4 IN%"[log in to unmask]  4-AUG-1992  Delivery error notice sent to list KIDCA
> 5 IN%"[log in to unmask]  4-AUG-1992  Delivery error notice sent to list KIDCA
> 6 IN%"[log in to unmask]  4-AUG-1992  Delivery error notice sent to list KIDCA
> 7 IN%"[log in to unmask]  4-AUG-1992  Delivery error notice sent to list KIDCA

It includes the first 40 characters of the subject line.  It
would be very helpful to have some indication of the source of
the error messages.  All four of the notices above were:

> From: [log in to unmask]
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Delivery Report (failure) for [log in to unmask]

I'd like the LISTSERV subject line to copy the from line of the
attached delivery error notice.  Then I'd see:

> 4 IN%"[log in to unmask]  4-AUG-1992  KIDCAFE Error From: [log in to unmask]
> 5 IN%"[log in to unmask]  4-AUG-1992  KIDCAFE Error From: [log in to unmask]
> 6 IN%"[log in to unmask]  4-AUG-1992  KIDCAFE Error From: [log in to unmask]
> 7 IN%"[log in to unmask]  4-AUG-1992  KIDCAFE Error From: [log in to unmask]

This would be a _major_ help to me.  I can ignore error messages
from some sites, especially after having read several identical
ones out of a batch of several hundred from that site.  But now I
don't find out where the message is from until I get to the
second screen of the message.

                          Peace,  Dan

<<  Daniel D. Wheeler          Internet:  [log in to unmask]  >>
<<  University of Cincinnati     Bitnet:  wheeler@ucbeh       >>