Vince Sabio <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 17 Oct 1997 21:34:34 -0400
** Sometime around 21:44 -0400 10/17/97, Dan Kanagy said:

>I'm wondering if there is some way to eliminate attachments from being
>sent to the list I moderate.  Because of the nature of the list,
>there really isn't any need to post file attachments to the list.  Is
>this something I can achieve with listserv?

Yes and no. You can use the SIZELIM header command to limit the number
of lines in any posting; posts that are too long are returned to the
sender.

On my discussion list, I have SIZELIM set to 180 lines, which seems
reasonable for most posts, and rejects most attachments (though some
lists might find it to be a little restrictive):

* Sizelim= 180

I've asked Eric if the size limit could be set in terms of total bytes,
instead of lines, which seems (to me) to make more sense.

I believe that rejection of posts containing attachments could also be
done as an exit app -- you could search for the specific text strings
that denote/delimit attachments, and simply reject the post based on
that. I'm not sure if anyone has done this, though; I certainly haven't.

Also, there is <another type of list server> that can filter messages
based on the body and/or header content; I have a couple of lists
running on <that type of list server>, and have found this feature to
be quite useful in cases like this. Note that it is built into the
server, and thus does not require an exit app.

Vince Sabio            Boy & His Sabre: <http://www.insane.net/TSC/Vince/>
[log in to unmask]       HumourNet: <http://www.humournet.com/HumourNet/>
                               Stop Internet Spam! <http://www.cauce.org/>

Segmentation Fault: Operating System Not Booted