"Paul M. Karagianis" <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 1 May 1992 11:20:26 EDT
There was a second limiting factor that I think may merit further
discussion, the use of Send= Public.  I suspect very few starry eyed
novices wishing to give their message to the whole world would be
willing to subscribe to all 3500+ lists.  I would have assumed that
you had to be a member of a group to address that group and I don't
find the default of Send= Public intuitivly obvious.  As a rookie
listmeister I didn't recognize the implications, but I tended to
use Send= Private because it just seemed appropriate.  I'm not saying
that use of "Public" will lead to hairy palms, but I think it should
be consciously chosen based on need.  Several of the messages I got
this week came from lists that I think should have been "Private"
anyway.  -Kary.