Sun, 16 Apr 1995 20:13:32 -0500
On Sat, 15 Apr 1995, Trish Forrest wrote:
>   In this specific case I checked and there were no existing
> subscribers from this network.  I'd like to know if anyone out
> there has ever served off a network and under what circumstances
> and how you justified it.

What is defined as "network?" Would you call @hostA.B.subdomainC.com
a network?  Spammers can, and do, rent these from people like AOL,
Prodigy, CompuServe, etc. (and every day there are more in the business
of renting these customized addresses).  You betcha I filter those,
with *@hostA.B.subdomainC.com (some are set up to sell advertising and
nothing else).  I don't filter the basic service provider, unless they
only provide service to spammers (which some seem to), just the ones
causing problems.  But these *are* system wide filters, sometimes with
wildcards, as nothing but junk has ever come from these rented addresses.
I don't hesitate merely because I'm installing a filter for everyone
 with the address *@hostA.B.subdomainC.com if everything from there is
garbage.

So, what's a "network?"

       Douglas Winship   Hays County, Texas  [log in to unmask]
                    Secondary AUTOCAT Listowner
                              MEDLAB-L