"F.J. Kelley" <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 21 Aug 2000 09:31:35 -0400
On Sun, 20 Aug 2000, Pete Weiss wrote:

> At 00:06 08/20/2000 Sunday, Adam Bailey wrote:
>
> >Put them on NOMAIL.

I delete them at once if they are managing to get the o-o-o's to the list
itself, and I usually delete them if they are sending o-o-o's to persons
who post to the list.  I send a message to the subscriber (and cc their
postmaster) explaining what is happening and why I am removing their
subscription.  I suggest they contact their mail administrator for
assistance in configuring their autoresponder so it does not reply to
mailing lists.  I delete them, instead of NOMAIL, because the effect is
the same at their end, resubscribing is not a problem, and it does help
(in some trivial way) to keep addresses current (maybe they tried NOMAIL
already, were told they weren't subscribed, and never got around to
contacting me about it ... who knows).  I make a test post periodically to
check for this.
-- Joe