Tue, 14 Jun 1994 13:36:40 -0500
We had a message sent to our list, a perfectly legitimate message,
which had a subject line which somehow acquired some nonstandard
characters, some of which can't even be seen unless you use the
right editor.  This thing caused some of our subscribers' systems
to go haywire and display nothing but gibberish until they got
out and then logged in again.  It seemed to do the same thing to
some who got it in the digest.

If possible, we would really like to edit out the offending material
as it could cause problems when people do a database search.

It has been suggested that after editing the log I should put it back with

put listname logxxxxx listname (PUTC  pw=xxxxxxxx

Has anyone ever done this?  I haven't tried yet as the log is the
current one and I don't want to try to change it until it is complete,
around midnight tonight I think.

If it will work (or some other technique will) are the double lines
of hyphens separating the items in the log an inherent part of the
log or are they something added automatically when one "get"s the log
to make it easier to read?  In other words, should those be edited
out or left in?

I seem to remember a discussion of this some time ago but my searches
haven't turned up much yet.  Probably using the wrong search terms.

        Douglas Winship    Austin, Texas    [log in to unmask]
                    Secondary AUTOCAT Listowner