Pete Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 10 Jul 2003 09:50:01 -0400
At 09:39 07/10/2003 Thursday, Karen Reznek wrote:

>In my experience, that is where things fall apart. At least among the
>subscribers I've encountered, it seems to be near impossible for many
>people to remember the format of the TOPIC.

Very true.  In fact on one list we have

TOPICS= topic1,topic2,MISC
DEFAULT-TOPIC= ALL,-OTHER

If someone mistopics, as usual, it will go to the LISTSERV-reserved
OTHER: topic.  Most subscribers will not be SET to that.  If someone
finds that the existing topics (1 and 2) don't match, they can then use
MISC (which takes on the roll of LISTSERV-reserved OTHER).

Pete Weiss

NB - the specific list is SPAM-L and the relevant FAQ section is:

http://www.claws-and-paws.com/spam-l/posting.html#topics-how