Perrine Crampton <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 5 Feb 1996 17:27:11 EST
I've been using the following message on my two lists:

Subject line reads: ADMIN: Attention Win95 subscribers

PLEASE!

Win95 users:

If you are currently using Win95 and the included email, make SURE that
you do not have an option to automatically encode or attach files turned
on when you post messages to the list!

These messages appear on the list in base64 code and it really 'clogs
up' the list. It's also VERY annoying for people who pay email that they
receive!

Thank you for your attention in this matter.

Here's the reply I received from one of our Win95 problem users:

"Just took the MIME off.  Nothing else.  And saved the address to my address
book with MIME off (under Properties, uncheck the box that says "Always
send messages in Microsoft rich text format").  Just incase the overall MIME
uncheck comes undone...call me superstitious.

In addition to your solutions, I got this answer right from the horse's
(i.e. Microsoft tech support's) mouth:

"Next time when you receive a message from a mailing list and want to
reply, right click the senders address (=mailing list) in your reply
editing screen. Select properties and uncheck "Send in MS Exchange
RTF-format". To change the setting permanently in your address book, open
address book and check the properties of the entries and uncheck RTF-format
for all the recipients whose E-mail cannot handle it (=those not using
Exchange).

And it worked!  YEAH!!!"

So, it must be a combination of MIME and RTF settings or the user didn't save
the "Non-RTF" address in their address book.

Perrine
Co-owner, Aussie-L and Corgi-L