Paula Ford <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 7 Feb 1999 13:55:42 -0500
On Saturday, February 06, 1999, Dorsett wrote:

> Gardens was invaded by a worm/trojan horse called Happy 99.

I've been having a lovely time with this one, too. From what I've read
it about, it's the first of its kind and fairly benign, but other, less
considerate ones are sure to follow.

> That archive log is damaged. Everything posted after Happy 99 is
> inaccessible. Is there a *safe* way to edit it out and retrieve the
> rest of that log's information?

Simply getting the log from the server will not activate the virus. I
just now edited it out of two archive files. The complete log file was
delivered with Happy99.exe as an attachment. I copied and pasted the
text of the message to a simple text editor (Notepad+ - freeware), then
copied it back to a mail message and PUT it back. If you're not familiar
with how to edit a log file, in general, check the manual reference Ben
Parker gave you.

> If not, **PLEASE** tell me that the power to exclude attachments will be
> available as part of 1.8d!

I second that emotion. <g>

---
Paula Ford