Mike Yuhas <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 8 Jul 2000 11:12:14 -0500
At 11:54 AM -0400 7/8/00, Stan Horwitz wrote:

>My suggestion is that if your subscribers absolutely must receive
>their email from your list that they select an ISP other than AOL.
>In my opinion, AOL is way too big for its britches. The reason why
>some subscribers on AOL get your list's mail and some do not is a
>result of the fact that AOL is a world-wide (or nearly so) service
>with many separate mail routers, some of which are more reliable
>than others.

I'm no AOL apologist, but I'm not seeing the problems you guys are.
AOL folks make up the largest block of subscribers on my list --
about 17% -- and there haven't been any widespread problems in recent
memory, outside of a couple spurious "mailbox full" errors.

I think it's AOL's worldwide presence that makes them an attractive
ISP, with local dialups in virtually every city of consequence. They
certainly have their own goofy way of doing things, but for non-geeks
I recommend AOL without reservation.

Of course, I'd see things differently if I faced the problems y'all are.

Cheers,
Mike Yuhas
folkdj-l: http://folkradio.org