Marty Hoag <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 13 Feb 1995 20:14:53 CST
On Sun, 12 Feb 1995 11:13:07 CST Jim O'Leary said:
>...                                       Ironically, his software is
>the main contributing cause of the problems he now complains about!
>    -----------------------

   Let's get real!  Eric isn't complaining - he's trying to find a
solution.  And, think a bit about where we'd be if we didn't have
software that optimizes delivery using DISTRIBUTE (see RFC1429)?  What
if we'd been using majordomo, listproc, or any of the many other list
servers?  As far as I know LISTSERV is the only list server that does
that on any large scale.  BITNET would have melted down years ago.
And moving the distribution center "closer" to the recipient not only
saves network resources but it offloads some of the distribution cost
to the receiving site.  I hope we can continue building on that in the
future.

     Marty Hoag

Marty Hoag   [log in to unmask]            US Mail: NDSU ITS
ND Higher Education Computer Network                IACC Room 206
Phone: (701)-231-8639  Fax: (701)-231-8541          PO Box 5164
Bitnet: nu021172@NDSUVM1  (note 0=zero)             Fargo, ND  58105