Richard Childers <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 15 May 1992 11:21:39 PDT
"One of our list owners here at UCSB would like to know if it is possible to
 link his list and an Internet news group together.  Does anyone know if
 this can be done and if so how?"

It can. See below.

However, I wonder whether it *should* be done. The Internet - IE, Usenet,
which is that superset of interconnected systems which exchange netnews,
email, and uucp/ftp/telnet traffic - and LISTSERV are separate. To post
to a newsgroup, to discuss problems specific to electronic mail systems
such as LISTSERV, is counterproductive, as those are precisely the people
whom are least able to help you, as they know nothing about LISTSERV.

However, there are several newsgroups on the Usenet which would be highly
appropriate reading for people trying to get a handle on this email stuff.
I seriously question whether it should be done.

As for gatewaying articles, merely set up an account so that you have an
entity which can receive mail. Have this entity subscribe to a specific
LISTSERV offering.

Now, write a script or program that is periodically run. It stops the
delivery agent, to expedite things, then copies the spool filled with
articles from the LISTSERVer to another location, zeroes the spool, and
restarts the mail delivery agent.

It then reads the spool of concatenated articles. For each article, it
separates the article's body from its routing header, encapsulates the
header so it won't be misinterpreted by subsequent mail packages, and
packs it all together into a file conforming to netnews ( Usenet ) for-
-mat for an article, with groups and distribution set - hopefully they
are set both accurately and conservatively - and feed the file to the
local netnews posting scripts or programs that tend to such things. It
does this for each article, then exits.

-- richard

=====
-- richard childers		[log in to unmask]		1 415 506 2411
         oracle data center  --  unix systems & network administration

                   Klein flask for rent. Inquire within.