"Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 17 Jun 2002 13:13:55 -0400
Probably a dumb questions, but ...

Why, when someone subscribes to a list via the web interface (subscriber's
corner), does LISTSERV require an additional confirmation via e-mail?  The
person/address is already authenticated.

For example, I reset my LISTSERV cookie and entered the subscriber's corner
from the front page.  At that point, I created a new LISTSERV
address/password and confirmed it via e-mail.  Then I continued on to the
subscriber's corner and entered my new address and password.  I changed
"Show" to "All-Lists" and clicked "Submit" to see all (Confidential=No)
lists.  I checked a list (ORONOPUBLIB) and clicked "Submit Changes". Since
LISTSERV "knows" my address at that point, I expected to be immediately
subscribed, but instead a confirmation e-mail was sent and the following
note added to the resulting web page:

>ORONOPUBLIB
>The ORONOPUBLIB list requires commands received via insecure channels,
>such as electronic mail, to be confirmed by their originator. Instructions
>are being sent under separate cover.

It would be nice if WA could just complete the subscription, wouldn't it?

cheers, wayne

Wayne T. Smith                         Systems Group - UNET
[log in to unmask]                 University of Maine System